Full-time (40 hours/week), Hourly, Non-Exempt.
Location: YWCA Silicon Valley main office, Sunnyvale & Palo Alto, CA; located at Sunnyvale Satellite Office and/or Palo Alto Satellite Office.
Department: Support Services, Advocacy Program
Join a passionate, dynamic team dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. For over 100 years, YWCA Silicon Valley has provided programs and services that form a critical continuum of response, healing, and prevention. To encourage survivor self-determination, services are delivered through a strengths-based, non-judgmental and trauma-informed lens that aligns with our mission. Be a key part of shaping this future as our new Bilingual Community Support Advocate (North).
Reporting to the Support Services Department, Community Support Manager (North), the Bilingual Community Support Advocate (North):
- Provides direct advocacy, counseling, safety planning, case management, support groups, community referrals to adults and children impacted by sexual assault, domestic violence and human trafficking both in person and on the phone using a strength-based, client-centered, trauma-informed approach.
- Effectively advocate for survivors with outside agencies and community organizations, including law enforcement, SART nurses, the District Attorney’s office, social services, etc
- Manage a caseload of survivors of domestic violence &/or sexual assault; assess advocacy service needs; arrange, coordinate and monitor the delivery of individualized services
- Maintains accurate and confidential records (hard copy and soft copy) of client services (service plans and achievements) and demographics and updates records in ETO (Efforts to Outcomes database) on a timely basis.
- Assists in facilitating department trainings and community presentations as needed
- Facilitates low-barrier entry service provision
We are seeking a compassionate, organized, and reliable individual with a high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence to provide case management, advocacy and emotional support for survivors of violence. Essential to this role is a demonstrated ability working with culturally and economically diverse individuals and families and ability to work with those impacted by trauma; excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and remotely. Bilingual, bi-cultural and bi-literate skills are required. Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree or college course work in social services field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Committed to direct, open and non-violent communication.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to sexual assault and abuse issues, trauma, gender equity and/or other forms of oppression.
- 75-hour Sexual Assault Counselor Training highly preferred.
Delivery of service includes overtime to accomplish task at hand. On-call duties are required during evenings and overnight on a rotation. Work includes lifting up to 30 pounds. Frequent local travel to Valley Medical Center, Juvenile Hall and to law enforcement agencies in North County (e.g. Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and Stanford). Susceptible to compassion fatigue and/or vicarious trauma. At the start of employment, this position will rotate between the main office in downtown San Jose and Sunnyvale until the end of onboarding and until they are fully 75-hour trained.
Required: Cleared background check (fingerprinting), valid TB test, valid California driver’s license 4-yrs driving experience, reliable transportation and auto insurance. Must have completed or be willing to complete 75hr-trained California State Sexual Assault Counselor certification. (Training will be provided). This position requires a Covid-19 vaccination due to the in-person interfacing required, and to promote the health and safety of others in the workplace and our community.
TO APPLY: Submit Resume & Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CS Advocate (North)” in subject line. Posting will continue until position is filled.
The YWCA Silicon Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We may be unable to respond to every individual submission due to a high volume of applicants. Please do not telephone. Applicants who do not follow the application procedure are immediately disqualified.