Community Support Advocate
Full-time (40 hours/week), Hourly, Non-Exempt.
Location: YWCA Golden Gate Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA 95112; located at San Jose
Department: Support Services, Community Support Program (Central)
Join a passionate, dynamic team dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
For over 100 years, YWCA Golden Gate Silicon Valley has provided programs and services that form a critical continuum of response, healing, and prevention. Our dedication to the people we serve is unparalleled. We have an exciting future, and the team to deliver on that lasting change for the people we serve. To encourage survivor self-determination, services are delivered through a strengths-based, non-judgmental and trauma-informed lens that aligns with our mission. Be a key part of shaping this future as our new Community Support Advocate (central).
Reporting to the Support Services Department, Community Support Manager (central), the Community Support Advocate:
- Provides direct advocacy, counseling, safety planning, case management, support groups, community referrals to adults and children impacted by sexual assault, domestic violence and human trafficking both in person and on the phone using a strength-based, client-centered, trauma-informed approach.
- Effectively advocate for survivors with outside agencies and community organizations, including law enforcement, SART nurses, the District Attorney’s office, correctional facilities, social services, etc
- Manage a caseload of survivors of domestic violence &/or sexual assault; assesses advocacy service needs; arranges, coordinates and monitors the delivery of individualized services
- Maintains accurate and confidential records (hard copy and soft copy) of client services (service plans and achievements) and demographics and updates records in ETO (Efforts to Outcomes database) on a timely basis.
- Assists in facilitating department trainings and community presentations as needed
We are seeking a compassionate, organized, and reliable individual with a high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence. Essential to this role is a demonstrated ability working with culturally and economically diverse individuals and families and ability to work with those impacted by trauma; a demonstrated ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment and to respond appropriately to unexpected situations.
Candidates must have excellent interpersonal skills to work independently and as part of a team. You must have an understanding of feminism and a strong commitment to social justice. Additionally, an ideal candidate will possess knowledge of and sensitivity to domestic violence and sexual assault issues, trauma, gender equity and client-centered service provision.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree or college course work in social services field or equivalent combination of education and experience; Committed to direct, open and non-violent communication; Knowledge of and sensitivity to sexual assault and abuse issues, trauma, gender equity and/or other forms of oppression; 65-hour Sexual Assault Counselor Training highly preferred; the ability to work independently and as a member of a diverse team with flexibility, initiative and a sense of humor; and the ability prioritize effectively and model healthy boundaries with empathy and compassion.
The ideal candidate is a warm, self-starter deeply committed to providing services from a strengths-based, social justice and anti-oppression framework. Prior advocacy-based counseling and case management experience is a plus.
Delivery of service includes overtime to accomplish task at hand. On-call duties are required during evenings and overnight on a rotation. Work includes lifting up to 30 pounds. Frequent local travel to Valley Medical and possibly Stanford Medical, Juvenile Hall and to law enforcement agencies. Susceptible to compassion fatigue and/or vicarious trauma.
Required: Cleared background check (fingerprinting), valid TB test, valid California driver’s license and auto insurance. Must have completed or be willing to complete a 65-hour California State Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Counselor certification. (Training will be provided).
TO APPLY: Submit Resume & Cover Letter to email@example.com with “Community Support Advocate (central)” in subject line. Posting will continue until position is filled. The YWCA Golden Gate Silicon Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.