Survivor Advocacy Coordinator I (SAIU)
Full-time (40 hours/week), Hourly, Non-Exempt.
Location: YWCA Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA 95112 & San Jose Police Department201 W Mission St, San Jose, CA 95110
Department: Support Services, Community Support Program
Join a passionate, dynamic team dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. For over 100 years, YWCA Silicon Valley has provided programs and services that form a critical continuum of response, healing, and prevention. To encourage survivor self-determination, services are delivered through a strengths-based, non-judgmental and trauma-informed lens that aligns with our mission. Be a key part of shaping this future as our new Survivor Advocacy Coordinator I (SAIU).
Reporting to the Support Services Department, Community Support Manager, the Survivor Advocacy Coordinator I (SAIU):
- Provides direct advocacy, crisis counseling, sexual assault education, case management, accompaniment, safety planning, and community referrals to adults and children impacted by sexual assault, both in person and on the phone using a strength-based, client-centered, trauma-informed approach. As well as effectively advocate for survivors with outside agencies, systems and community organizations, including law enforcement, SART nurses, and the District Attorney’s office.
- Manage a caseload of survivors of sexual assault; assess advocacy service needs; arrange, coordinate and monitor the delivery of individualized services.
- Supports the work of the team by coordinating the daily management of SAIU crisis support activities, including but not limited to, 24-hour in-person response, triaging walk-ins, directing all business calls to the appropriate staff person, providing crisis counseling, intakes, screenings
- Collaborate with Community Support Manager regarding client and program needs, including any adaptive and technical challenges.
- Assist in the development of short and long term plans for program, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Serves as point of contact and effectively supports the service delivery at the SAIU by building relationships with San Jose Police Department, connecting survivors to services and increasing community awareness of YWCA Silicon Valley Services.
- Maintains accurate and confidential records (hard copy and soft copy) of client services (service plans and achievements) and demographics and updates records in ETO (Efforts to Outcomes database) on a timely basis.
- Assists in facilitating department trainings and community presentations as needed
We are seeking a compassionate, organized, and reliable individual with a high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence to provide case management, advocacy and emotional support for survivors of violence. Essential to this role is a demonstrated ability working with culturally and economically diverse individuals and families and ability to work with those impacted by trauma; excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and remotely. Candidates must have:
- Bachelor’s degree or college course work in social services field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Committed to direct, open and non-violent communication.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to sexual assault and abuse issues, trauma, gender equity and/or other forms of oppression.
- 65-hour Sexual Assault Counselor Training highly preferred.
Delivery of service includes overtime to accomplish task at hand. On-call duties are required during evenings and overnight on a rotation. Work includes lifting up to 30 pounds. Frequent local travel to Valley Medical and possibly Stanford Medical, Juvenile Hall and to law enforcement agencies. Susceptible to compassion fatigue and/or vicarious trauma. Required: Cleared background check (fingerprinting), valid TB test, valid California driver’s license 4-yrs driving experience, reliable transportation and auto insurance. Must have completed or be willing to complete 65hr-trained California State Sexual Assault Counselor certification. (Training will be provided).